Sterling Heights, MI dentists explain dental implants
Implants are usually associated with plastic surgery, plastic surgeons, and breast augmentation. However, another type of implant is used by dentists. Dr. Frank Rosner and Dr. Laura Pepa at LaserDentalAssociates.com in Sterling Heights, MI recommend dental implants for replacing missing teeth.
Understanding the dental implants procedure
So, what are dental implants? They are devices placed within the jawbone to replicate the roots of missing teeth. While this may sound like a dramatic procedure, getting dental implants for missing teeth is actually a brief and minimally traumatic appointment, thanks to the dentist’s careful planning.
The process begins with a thorough evaluation of bone in the area of the missing tooth, utilizing leading-edge diagnostic technologies. The doctor uses this information to determine the precise placement and angle of the implant for optimal traction and long-term success.
On the day of the procedure, your mouth is thoroughly numbed with computerized anesthesia delivery. A small soft tissue incision allows the doctor to access bone, where space is created for the implant. Depending on the type of restoration you will receive, the incision may be closed with a suture or two, or a healing cap placed.
Over the next few months, osseointegration occurs – bone fusing to the implant to hold it in a position like a natural tooth root. Then the implant is topped with a lustrous porcelain crown to restore appearance and chewing function.
In addition to restoring a single tooth, new teeth implants can be used to retain a bridge, replacing three or more missing teeth in a row, without need to alter healthy teeth on either side of the gap. Implants are also used to stabilize dentures. Just a few implants hold a full arch of teeth securely.
In some cases, the denture can be designed and fabricated in advanced. Special “immediate load” implants are placed when teeth are extracted, and the denture is inserted right away. It protects the mouth as it heals, and you don’t have to be seen without teeth. The denture is then relined or replaced when oral tissue healing is complete.
Types of dental implants
Traditional implants are made of various metals. Titanium dental implants are strong and biocompatible, rarely triggering allergic reaction or rejection. However, they are gray in color. Patients who have thin gum tissue or simply prefer metal-free restorations may choose implants made of ceramic products such as zirconium. Since ceramic dental implants are white, they will not show even if gums recede later in life. In either case, the outside surface of the implant can be coated with a special compound to aid in bonding of the bone to the implant.
How patients in Sterling Heights, MI benefit from dental implants
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- They allow the dentist to create a stable replacement for missing teeth.
- Implants do not require the preparation of adjacent natural teeth.
- An implant-retained bridge will not cause wear since it is not anchored to teeth.
- When used to stabilize a denture, implants provide a level of stability that cannot be achieved through other means.
- With modern bone grafting-techniques, most people who have missing teeth can be candidates for dental implants. (There are a few rare medical problems that might contraindicate implants, but each case is evaluated on an individual basis.)
- Once fully integrated, dental implants typically last between 15 and 20 years, sometimes more. When placed by an experienced dental implant dentist and when cared for properly by the patient, implants can last a lifetime.
- Implants are easy to care for. The hygiene team at LaserDentalAssociates.com will show you the proper cleaning technique.
Because implants become part of your body rather than sitting on top of gum tissue, they do something a conventional bridge or denture cannot do. Implants, like natural tooth roots, stimulate the body to preserve strong, dense bone. That helps to maintain youthful facial contours and avoids a sunken appearance.
- Dental implant restorations look very natural and feel and function like organic teeth.
Therefore, dental implants, while not as dramatic as breast implants, are quite beneficial to appearance, confidence, oral health, and overall wellness.
Patients who are searching for “dental implants near me” are encouraged to contact LaserDentalAssociates.com in Sterling Heights, MI at 586-838-2017 to schedule an evaluation. One of our dentists will be happy to perform a comprehensive examination to see if dental implants are an appropriate solution for your needs.