Dentist in Sterling Heights will make you smile with dental implants
There are many different reasons that an individual may deal with permanent tooth loss. Whether it’s due to injury, dental decay, or gum disease, picking a tooth replacement solution may seem overwhelming. At Laser Dental Associates in Sterling Heights, MI, Drs. Rosner and Pepa work closely with patients to explain the choices available and determine which tooth replacement solution is best for his or her situation. Dental implants are the only permanent option for replacing missing teeth and are considered the gold standard because they look, function, and feel just like natural teeth. If you are interested in learning more about how dental implants will make you smile again, Drs. Rosner and Pepa explain the procedure and its benefits below.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants replace the root of your missing tooth. The posts are placed into the jawbone and fuse together with it during a process known as osseointegration. Over time, the implant becomes a part of the permanent support structure of the mouth.
The Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants provide patients with a wide variety of benefits. Some of the most notable, include:
- Implants provide a strong, stable foundation for a replacement tooth. A natural tooth root holds the tooth in place, allowing you to bite, chew, and speak. In the absence of the natural root, the implant properly supports a prosthetic such as a dental crown that is attached to the implant.
- Implants can last for the rest of your life with good oral hygiene and routine dental care.
- With implants, you will forget that you have a dental prosthetic because it looks and feels natural.
- Because implants become part of the jaw, they stimulate the bone and prevent bone loss. Other types of tooth restorations can lead to bone loss over time which can prematurely age the face and cause neighboring teeth to shift out of position.
- With implants, you don’t have to worry about what you are eating.
- Implants are easy to take care of, simply brush and floss just like you would with natural, healthy teeth.
- Unlike dental bridges, implants do not require surrounding healthy teeth to be altered, preserving their health and structure.
The Dental Implant Process
Having dental implants placed requires several appointments, but in the end, it is worth the time spent for a restoration that truly functions like natural teeth. The first step is a consultation with Drs. Rosner and Pepa where they can decide if you are a candidate for dental implants. To determine this, they will examine the overall health of the mouth along with the density of the bone to determine if it is strong enough for the dental implants. If the patient has experienced bone deterioration, it does not automatically disqualify him or her from receiving dental implants. In this situation, a bone graft may be performed before the implant procedure to provide enough density to allow the implant to integrate properly.
Once it is time for the implant to be placed, the procedure is done under anesthesia so that the patient does not experience any discomfort. Once the implant is in place, it is covered with gum tissue and left to heal for a period of 3-6 months. When the implants have fully fused with the bone, the final step can be completed. Depending on the number of teeth missing, either a crown, bridge, or denture can be attached to the implant or implants to fully restore the smile.
Smile again with Dental Implants from Laser Dental Associates
If you are living with tooth loss or have recently been told that you will require tooth extraction, please know that there are options. If you are in the Sterling Heights area, call the team at Laser Dental Associates to learn more about dental implants and whether they are right for you. We are happy to answer any questions that you have about dental implants and walk you through the entire process. We also offer other tooth restoration options and a comprehensive array of general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry services. Our entire team is ready to help make you smile again. If you would like to schedule a consultation, call 586-838-2017 today.
Back to Implants Page